top of page

Gift Registered Shares

Step-by-step to buy registered shares for another person

There are two ways to give a share to another person as a gift - one through Computershare, where you gift a share you already own, and one where you purchase a share to be delivered to the recipient.


Computershare has a fantastic user guide for gifting shares located at


Note: In order to use this guide, you'll need a Computershare account, shares registered in your name you'd like to gift, and some personal information about the person receiving gift shares. You will need a medallion stamp to authorize it. You can get a medallion stamp for free at most Credit Unions, or you can include a $50 check with the form and Computershare will handle it for you. Please note: There is a limit to one gift per month (no matter how many shares are gifted).

The second method we will go through is to use Give A Share, which is available globally and can be used as many times a month as you like.

How to gift a share through Give A Share:

Anyone can buy a share from anywhere in the world by using All you need is a debit or credit card. The cost is an extra $50-100 on top of the share price, depending on what option you choose (framed certificate or digital DRS). This is because they make the Computershare account for you and they need a $10 buffer for the price fluctuations.


You can also opt to get a replica paper certificate, with the option of framing it and including an engraving. A pretty sweet souvenir! Although, there will be at least another $50 in postage fees.

  • Once you've decided if you want the replica certificate or not, pick your option from your chosen stock page. For example this is the Give A Share GameStop page.

  • If you have chosen to get a framed replica, you can pick your frame color and other gifting/shipping options on the next page.

  • Whichever choice you make, you will need to fill out the recipient's name, and home address. Give a Share needs these to create the Computershare account.

  • If you want it to be a surprise, you can give your own email address, otherwise use the recipient's email.

  • You can ignore the "Adult Custodian" box if the recipient is over the age of 18. Otherwise, you will need to check it and fill in the relevant adult's information (their parent or guardian is typically the adult custodian).

  • If you chose to get an engraving, you can write what it says next. They can even engrave emojis!

  • After filling out the text boxes, click on "Confirm Selection".

  • The next page will break down your order and how it will be processed. This includes when you can expect to have the share registered with Computershare, and when Computershare will send the first and second letter out to the recipient.

  • If you're happy you can click "Check Out".

  • On the next page you need to fill out all of the billing and shipping info.

  • Be sure to give separate billing and shipping info if you do not live with the recipient of the gifted share.

  • Once that is filled out click on “Continue”

  • The final page is your payment details. Simply provide the debit or credit card details you wish to use to pay. Click "Continue".

  • That completes your order with Give A Share! Give A Share will email you (or the recipient) with updates as the order progresses.

  • If you have chosen to get one, the replica certificate will dispatch in 2 business days. Delivery time is dependent on which option you choose.

  • The gift receiver's GME share will be registered with Computershare in 1-2 weeks. Give a Share will send an email to let you know when this has been done.

How to open the recipient's Computershare account:

  • When their share is registered, the first Computershare letter will be dispatched. It will take between 3 to 5 weeks to arrive depending where they are in the world. This is the DRS Account Statement.

  • If you don't want to wait around 5 weeks, you have a couple of options:

    • If you have transferred less than 10 shares, Computershare can give you the account number over the phone. Skipping the need for the first letter.

    • You can expedite the letter for $45 by giving payment details to Computershare over the phone. The letter will arrive within a week.

  • To check if the share has successfully been transferred over from your broker, you may call Computershare to check this information with them over the phone.

  • Computershare's non-US GME relations number is + 800-3823-3823. This number works worldwide.

  • Otherwise the US toll free number is: +1 800-522-6645 and the US toll number is: +1 (201) 680 6578 (charges may apply). If you're outside of the US, you can get a free month trial with Skype to call these numbers.

  • Once they have their Computershare account number from the DRS Account Statement, they can create their Computershare account online.

  • To do this, go to

  • Click on “Login to Investor Center”.

  • Click on “Register Now”.

  • Make sure to select the “Holder Account Number” tab, instead of “Social Security Number”.

  • Select “I am not a U.S. Resident” if they are from outside of the US.

  • Provide the Computershare account number (starts with “C”).

  • Provide their registered Zip/Postal code, and the name of the stock that you bought (GameStop).

  • Computershare will then prompt them to create their username, password and security questions.

  • Once the account is created, Computershare will send an auto-generated verification code letter in the mail. This will arrive in 2 to 4 weeks.

  • If you'd like it sooner you can call Computershare and pay a $30 fee to get the verification code via email within 48 hours.

When you receive the verification code letter:

  • Return to

  • Click on “Login to Investor Center”.

  • Login using the username, and password that was created.

  • Then they can enter the verification code.

  • They now have full access to your Computershare account to conduct transactions.

W-8 BEN Tax Form:

At this point, it is important to verify their tax status if they're a non-US citizen. While logged into Computershare, go to the My Profile tab, then “Tax Details”. A guide on how to fill in the W-8 BEN form is linked (here).

They must fill the W-8 BEN in before they buy any more shares through Computershare, or add their banking information. Otherwise they will be assumed to be a US citizen.

Adding currency information for non-US investors:

After submitting the W-8 BEN tax form, they can enter their Foreign Currency Account information into their Computershare account (this is for sales only):

  • Click on "My Profile". 

  • Click on "Banking Details".

  • Under "Payment Method", select: "International Wire".

  • Under "Country", enter the country where they bank from.

  • Under "Currency", select their local currency.

  • Then enter their SWIFT code and account number according to their bank account.

Please note: If they wish to use a Wise USD account here, Wise has daily and yearly limits for deposits, so it's probably best to use an actual bank instead of a currency conversion platform for withdrawals.

If you have any corrections, or know of any other brokers, please let us know through the feedback page!

bottom of page